Wednesday, September 1, 2010

now how about a REAL update?


I figured since we finally have some internet in our apartment, I should probably do a substantial update here in blog land.  One with pictures!  I should probably go in some sort of order so I don't forget anything so I guess I'll start with the traveling bit.  So many airplanes, so many delays, so much running around.  And SO worth it.   Every single one of my flights were delayed and I definitely had to do some running in the Amsterdam airport, but I made it!  Even though I was exhausted and my luggage got lost, I could not have been happier to walk out of the Florence airport.  

Traveling alone is actually really wonderful.  You take care of yourself and you find your way and by the time you make it to your final destination, you're proud that you did it all alone.  This trip really feels like it's mine now.  Good byes were hard, but the tears felt just as right as leaving did.  Everything about this trip has become so essential to me that it just made sense. I know I've said it before but I really feel like if this wasn't happening, I'd be stuck.  As an artist, as a student, as....me.  It's just so beautiful to finally be here.  Seeing the Duomo from above as we flew into Florence was when it really hit me.  Unbelievable.



I took a taxi from the airport to the Santa Reparata International School of Art Campus, where I filled out more paperwork, got my apartment keys and headed over to Viale Spartaco Lavagnini - home away from home.  The picture above is the view from my bedroom window.  Everything is all beautiful rooftop and teal shutters and cobblestone streets.  No screens on the windows and beautiful breezes. 



The room mates are great, all seven of them.  Everyone is open minded, hysterical, and ready to just go nuts and hike this place up and down.  My kind of people.  :)  We went out to dinner the night we arrived after settling in a little.  The italian gentleman who served us was as adorable as you can imagine.  He did his best with English and we did our best with Italian.  We ended up laughing our heads off and having a fantastic meal before the jet lag pretty much knocked us all on our asses.  There was no avoiding it.




Day two I got up around 7 am to head to the nearest mercato centrale (central market.)  It's a giant building with an indoor market.  Unfortunately we were a tad early when we arrived around 9 ...italians like to open and close shops or markets whenever they choose no matter the posted hours.  A lot of places tend to close down for lunch hours all together.  So we checked out the huge white tent filled with fresh fruits and vegetables instead.  We also found the nearest Euro store (basically the european dollar store) to get some small things we need around the apartment.   The rest of the day was spent meeting with the landlady, heading to school to meet the amazing staff and navigate through SRISA itself.




Ahh....studios like these and the others surrounding them make me dreeeam.  :)  I cannot wait to start classes.  (Painting, Figure Drawing, Silkscreen, Print making, Book Arts, Italian and History of Florence.  Yeah baby.)   My luggage was waiting for me at the school - thank you Jesus - so I spent the rest of the night unpacking and talking with my room mates till around midnight.  We laughed and finished wine.  It was a great beginning.

This morning we all went to the indoor market again (it was open this time!) and I bought some things to add to my groceries.... fresh mozzerella, salami di tacchino, bread, some spices, fresh pesto, some pasta and the creamiest vanilla yogurt I have ever tasted.  We had our permit of stay meeting at the school, set up the internet in our apartment....and then at two we all went together to hop on a bus to Fiesole.  Our teachers all came with us and traveling as a group was a blast.  Fiesole sits on a hill above Florence on the North side of the center.  The views are....unbelievably breath taking.  We climbed to a look out point to look down on the entire city.



Absolutely mind blowing. (Fiesole will most definitely be seeing me again.)  We took another bus up the giant hill to a the beautiful Villa Peyron.  We had an hour to get lost in a huge garden that was pruned and trimmed meticulously.  The time to explore, take pictures and sketch was amazing.  We all ended up being eaten alive by the mosquitoes, but I think you'll agree that it was most definitely worth it...



The top floor of the farm house in the villa was made into a gorgeous private gallery that we were able to visit.



We were given quick rides down the hill from the gallery to our school directors house.  The staff made us dinner on her rooftop terrace!  It was unreal.  The food was delicious...lasagne, bread, bruschetta, proschutto wrapped melon, basil and tomato and mozzerella, rosemary roasted pork, potatoes, salad, peaches in wine!  We feasted.  Everyone really got to know each other and the staff members were so eager to know us as well. They really are amazing people and I'm beyond excited to work with them.



After a bus ride back to the city a few of us decided to take a late night walk to the Duomo.  I took a few pictures but I don't even want to post them yet until I have both night time and day time pictures.  Pictures can't hold a candle to what I saw tonight.  I couldn't even speak.  You see it in history books all the time....but it's just....so.....

No words.  Absolutely no words for how impressive the Duomo is.  It's unlike anything I have ever seen.  

And I have a lot more seeing to do!  I can't believe its only day 3.  I am so thankful for every moment of this.  So much more to come :)

Be blessed.  I hope you see beauty in everything you do today.

Love, Hayd

2 comments:

  1. I hope this blog stays as beautiful as you are Hayd. The pictures are amazing I'm so excited for you!



    _Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. We thoroughly enjoyed reading this! I will be watching it religiously for your new updates!! We hope you have the time of your life while you're there!! Keep those pictures coming!

    All our love,
    Talia and Tim

    ReplyDelete