Saturday, September 4, 2010

ciao :)

So, its been only a few days since I last posted, but it feels like it has been two weeks.  Everyday there is so much to see and do....and EAT.  I've been penny pinching like crazy, using money only for essential groceries.  And yes, gelato is one of those essential groceries.  Here is the past couple of days in photos.  I forgot in my last post to tell you can click them to enlarge the image, so if haven't already...do it.  Its worth it.   :)


You know, I wish this photo really did it for me, but it doesn't.  It's just not the same as seeing it.  It's so beyond pictures.  Every detail is so meticulously crafted.  The art, the sculptures, the incredible architecture here....it really teaches you.  If you take the time to lay down a strong foundation, the right way, with patience...you can create something that will not only last lifetimes, but will age beautifully.  That can be said of a lot of things in life, no?









^ This is Palazzo Vecchio - The Old Palace, and the square around it. So beautiful!















^These are just the first...oh....eleventy hundred steps up to San Miniate al Monte?



Look more steps.  Haha.  Every one of them was worth it though.  This church is over a thousand years old and well cared for in its original condition.  When I got to the front doors and turned around....alllllll of Florence was laid out in front of us.  Breathtaking.  (literally and figuratively.)  I'm sure the natives loved watching a bunch of american students struggle up the mountain, but nothing could bother me the moment we got to the top.  




^The inside of this church was gorgeous.  We walked to San Miniate al Monte yesterday as a class field trip....but this morning I woke up just before seven and walked there again by myself.  It was perfect.  The sun was out but the breeze took away the heat.  No one rushed me or told me what to do.  It was beautiful to just be.  Everything here is just so rich with history and culture.  I feel like half of the time I must look like a complete idiot, making my eyes open as wide as they can just so I won't miss anything.  Well, on second thought, I must not have looked too bad because on the way back, some balding italian man grabbed my hand and said, "Bella!  Kiss me per favore!  Kiss me, Bella!"

Thanks but no thanks.






Ahhh, the David replica.  Such a nice bum.









I love this last picture because it seems to be the typical color palette for Florence.  I'm hoping to use these in some works this semester.  My sketchbook has been by my side continuously and my brain is already in overdrive.  I hope it translates to canvas soon.  :)

Love to you, Hayden

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely breathtaking ... beautiful ... just like you ...

    Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete