Tuesday, November 23, 2010

giving thanks.

It has been raining non stop here for the past week.  :(

Today was the first teeny bit of sunshine we have had in a while, making all of us exceptionally happier.  I don't always mind the rain, in fact usually I enjoy it.  But when you live in an apartment with no dryer and your jeans and shoes and socks are soaking wet....well, it can get miserable pretty quickly.

(Oh.  And even as I type this....it's raining AGAIN out my window.)

In other news, it's Thanksgiving time again.  As you already know, italians don't celebrate this holiday so it looks like my roomies and I will be trying our best to recreate our own little thanksgiving dinner.

Mom (via skype) :  "Do they even HAVE turkey in Florence?"
Me:  "Well, Sam said she saw turkey breast at the Esse Lunga where we shop.  Don't worry Ma, there is still turkey boob.  We'll make it work."

Even though I will definitely be feeling over the absence of my family's usual holiday get together, I'm sure that my friends and I will make this Thursday special.  After all, every single one of us has plenty to be thankful for.

I have a bit of a tradition when it comes time for Thanksgiving.  Nothing fancy or unique - just a list.  A list of things I'm thankful for.  And if it's alright with all of you, I think I'll post it here this year.

Things I'm Thankful For (In no specific order) :

*THIS FREAKIN TRIP!!!!  Every single minute of it.  Every freakin second.  Every bit of struggle it took to get here, every bit of challenge involved in being here, everything.  It has changed me, changed my life forever.  Every part of this has been beyond me, above me, within me....just so blessed.  GAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  thankyouthankyouthankyou.

*My family, my friends, my dog, everyone who has written me letters or sent me emails, everyone who even bothers to read this silly blog.  Thank you.  I'm thankful for you.  I hope you know how much I love you.

*Esse Lunga - the grocery store that makes the exchange rate on the euro not quite so painful.

*Warm slippers in a freezing house.

*Heat (when it works)  Water (when it works)  and of course, my bed.

*For the man who told me I was a beautiful angel today.

*I'm thankful for my rights, my privileges, my freedoms, healthcare.  There are no tanks rolling down my street.  I can own property, vote, wear what I choose, worship as I choose, speak my mind...and if myself or a loved one gets sick - the nearest hospital is not hours away.

*For the doctors and nurses working diligently in Haiti to battle against the devastating cholera outbreak.

(please lend a hand if you can...we have to take of each other, World.  http://www.hopehaiti.org/ )

*For well preserved and respected history.  For art.  For literature.  For talented educators.

*For gelato.  Oh gelato.....

*For the inspiration I thought I would never find.  For the confidence to act on it.  To create.

*For poetry.  Warm socks and hot drinks.  Sketchbooks and moleskins, prismas and microns, paint and ink, beautiful clean paper.  Beautiful messy paper.



*   ^^^For this guy who modeled for me in Figure Drawing the other day.  Not only was his beard adorable, but he taught me how to say suspenders in italian...  'giarrettiere'

*I am and always will be thankful for fresh mozzarella cheese.  Fruits and vegetables at the open air markets, Sunday morning sounds.

*I'm thankful for my shoes.  They have taken me everywhere I can think of.  Poor babies.

*For safe travel.  Trains, planes, buses, subways.

*For meeting the right people at the right time.  Whenever I felt lost or afraid or unsure, I usually bumped into someone who had the answers.

*For learning to be alone.  Learning to trust myself.

*For parties!  Live music!  ALL music!!! For laughing until I can't see straight.

*For Marta - my nearest and dearest italian friend.  I will truly be heart broken to say goodbye to her in December.

*I'm thankful for snail mail. There is nothing like writing and receiving hand written letters.  People forget how beautiful it is.  Especially when they are from your best friend.  :)

*For new beginnings, no matter where I am.  (New beginnings for those around me too!  Weddings, jobs, college, internships....adulthood....when the hell did that happen anyway...?)

*For skype.  The most effective weapon when battling homesickness.

*For everything I have learned here - about myself, about art, about the global society.  I'm thankful for this endless curiosity about the world that has transformed into an insatiable appetite for living and learning in it.  I'm more than ready to throw myself in the mess of it all.  Good and bad.  I want to feel it.  Need to feel it.

"Each minute of life should be a divine quest."  ~Paramahansa Yogananda


The great thing about Thanksgiving lists are that they never end, they often repeat, and they never stop meaning something.

So on that note....this Thursday, when you gather together, wear your stretchiest pants so you can eat some turkey for me.  No one will judge you.  Own those pants, baby.  And enjoy the turkey coma that usually follows.

I miss you more than ever this time of year.  Soooo grateful to be able to come home to you soon :)

Lovelovelove,

Hayden

1 comment:

  1. Hey it's Aunt Pat. So nice skyping with you tonight. So proud of you....can't wait to get you for a few hours to chat and talk about art. You are so special....you are so missed...you are soooo loved.
    We may miss each other tomorrow but we are really never far away. Hearts and minds are always within reach......touching you.....xoxoxoxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete