Saturday, December 18, 2010

well then....

So, today wasn't exactly what it was supposed to be.  Had everything gone to plan I would be home, in my bed, sleeping, and SUPER happy.

But I'm rolling with the punches because life is definitely not that simple.

I woke up at 4am to make the shuttle to the airport this morning.  Only to check my email and find that my first flight had been cancelled.  One panic attack later and I had Mom and Dad on skype, freaking out.  My mom was the biggest trooper on earth.  I had no way to make phone calls so she spent the ENTIRE night (your time) trying to figure out what the hell to do.  Only to be told that we had to figure it out ourselves and that it wasn't likely I could get a flight for the next 4 days!

Essentially, I had to get to the airport and fight to change my flight.  It was not a happy day.  I dragged my luggage to the train station in the snow.  Waited in a 45 minute line for a taxi.  All with many other people in the same situation.  Everyone is stuck.  Apparently, most of Europe is on lockdown with this snow we had just yesterday.  (On a happy note, it hasn't snowed in Florence for YEARS....Who can say that they got to see the Duomo covered in snow!?  Beautiful!  Inconvenient....but BEAUTIFUL.)

Luckily, I met all the right angels today. After waiting in the most anxiety ridden crowd for almost four hours at the airport....I caught my one and only chance out of here.  Tomorrow I'm flying to Madrid, spending the night and then coming home on Monday!

Since the taxi situation is no good right now, I'm currently camping out in the Florence airport with fellow stranded students.  A lot of flights have been cancelled tonight so I'm still a little nervous, but I'm feeling hopeful that everything will be okay by tomorrow morning when I leave.

Today was definitely a learning experience to say the least.  Half the time I wanted to cry or just give up. The other half I felt empowered and independent.  I can do this.  I've been traveling NON STOP for the last three and half months.  I can do this.  I tried to put things into perspective to gain some patience.....Waiting in line for 3.5 hours to get a plane ticket home is a million times better than waiting that long or even longer to see a doctor or to get your child decent medical treatment.  Waiting is something I know nothing of.


Fingers crossed.  <3

Love, Hayd

No comments:

Post a Comment